1. You take a photo of your husband sitting under a pecan tree next to a spring-fed river.
2. Some dudes pull up and drop off a turtle they rescued from the highway.
3. You go kayaking, and spend a lot of the day protecting yourself (reluctantly) from the perfect Texas sun.
4. This is ubiquitous.
5. So is this.
6. Armadillos are art.
7. The small towns have dance halls that let you bring in ‘ole bottles of liquor if you’re tired of Lone Star, aka “set-ups,” or as shown here, “se ups.”
8. The bars look timeless.
9. Lots of people drive trucks, especially dualies.
And you know you’re in Austin, specifically, when:
1. Your brother works at a local animal shelter.
2. You have a snuggly encounter with a cat named Bernard.
3. Every car has a preachy bumper sticker.