My work spans the editorial spectrum.
Long-form feature writing:
Most recent: Cosmopolitan Magazine, January 2016
Why Are American Women Dying in Childbirth?
After Joy Victory spent her daughter’s birth confused, sick and scared for her life, she decided to find out.
Need an organ? It helps to be rich
While the uninsured or poor can’t easily receive organs, they do donate them: As many as 25 percent of organs come from the uninsured. Is this ethical?
With Transcendental Meditation followers trying to bring their program to New York City public schools, some are concerned about the evidence behind the group’s claims.
HealthNewsReview.org, Deputy Managing Editor, 2016-present
Alternative medicine topics
- Trendy new ‘pea milk’ generates lots of headlines, but little scrutiny
- Thanks to Olympics, cupping gets its 15 minutes of fame–again
- Why health claims about essential oils deserve more scrutiny from journalists
- You want me to put what where!? News media wisely take Gwyneth Paltrow to task for latest eye-rolling idea
- Conflicts of interest abound in New York Times story on Transcendental Meditation
- Here’s why you can go ahead and ignore all those clickbaiting ‘olive oil protects against Alzheimer’s’ headlines
Pregnancy and parenting
- Swaddling and SIDS: Why scary headlines got it wrong
(Hear my NPR interview on the same topic.)
- Why you should be wary of ‘ovarian reserve testing’ events at fertility clinics and More evidence that women should be wary of ‘ovarian reserve testing’ events
- News media sound the alarm on mercury in seafood during pregnancy — was it a false alarm?
- The problem with the ‘happy mom = less colicky baby’ headlines
- Six tips for writing accurately about cancer immunotherapy drugs
- Too many stories ignore or under-report the harms of cancer immunotherapies. Here’s what the public needs to know.
- Food emulsifiers and cancer: Fear-mongering stories needed to dig deeper than the news release
- 6 things to keep in mind if you read cancer-related news in the next few days
- What you’re not being told about ‘free’ public head and neck cancer screening events
- Despite thumbs down from professional groups, mass prostate cancer screening events continue, often with misleading promotions
- The harms of cancer screening: It’s time to get personal
- ‘Fake breakthrough, fake news:’ One physician-researcher’s takeaway on news coverage of MS drug Ocrevus
- Journalists: 9 tips to combat stem cell hype in your news stories
- ‘Living hip replacement’ via stem cells–a tale of two news stories
General medical research & news media criticism
- Why ‘approved’ medical devices may not be safe: A new addition to our toolkit
- Why you should back away slowly from health care news stories relying on case studies
- 5 tips for writing better health news headlines
- Once again, some news media can’t resist lure of sexy-but-preliminary research
- Just say no to news stories about ‘post election stress disorder’
- Things that are unlikely to kill you this summer, despite alarming news headlines
- Washington Post’s story on platelet-rich plasma injections highlights drawbacks of first-person health reporting
- A newspaper’s murky partnership with a regional oncology center: boosting revenue but misleading readers
- Say awwwwwwww: Here’s how to publicize rodent research accurately and adorably
Center for Health Journalism
- Why isn’t the nation’s maternal mortality problem generating more headlines?
- Reporting the findings: Absolute vs. relative risk
- Interview on my reporting: How medical records helped one journalist find out what went wrong during her daughter’s birth and Piecing together medical records revealed missed chances to intervene during scary delivery
Environmental Defense Fund (on staff as digital editor from 2012-2016)
Examples of marketing copy writing, photo editing and content production for EDF:
- Brand promotional content: 12 fish you’ve probably never tried but should eat
- Case study: McDonald’s reduces waste–and saves money
- Explainer content: Methane: The other important greenhouse gas
- Explainer content: Climate change impacts
- Quiz: What’s your environmental personality?
Payscale.com (freelance), Yahoo syndicated content: 5 Salary Secrets Your Company Won’t Tell You
WordPress.com (staff): Five Ways to Get Featured on Freshly Pressed
ABCNEWS.com (staff, many articles, here are two):
Texas’ Blood-Sucking Monster
That’s No Spider Bite: Antibiotic Resistant Staph Infections Now Very Common
- “What you need to know” template for trendy health news of the day
- All the graphics for HealthNewsReview’s 10 criteria
- (Sidenote: Edward Tufte said HealthNewsReview.org was “superb” and retweeted my blog post!)
Mexico Desconocido (contributor): La Boquilla, Oaxaca
Ad copy writing and photo editing:
Environmental Defense Fund, staff
“You are EDF.”
Spring 2016 EDF membership cultivation campaign: