My work spans the editorial spectrum.
Long-form feature writing:
Most recent: Cosmopolitan Magazine, January 2016
Why Are American Women Dying in Childbirth?
After Joy Victory spent her daughter’s birth confused, sick and scared for her life, she decided to find out.
Need an organ? It helps to be rich
While the uninsured or poor can’t easily receive organs, they do donate them: As many as 25 percent of organs come from the uninsured. Is this ethical?
With Transcendental Meditation followers trying to bring their program to New York City public schools, some are concerned about the evidence behind the group’s claims.
HealthNewsReview.org, Deputy Managing Editor–current position
- Thanks to Olympics, cupping gets its 15 minutes of fame–again
- ‘Living hip replacement’ via stem cells–a tale of two news stories
- Things that are unlikely to kill you this summer, despite alarming news headlines
- Washington Post’s story on platelet-rich plasma injections highlights drawbacks of first-person health reporting
- Journalists: 9 tips to combat stem cell hype in your news stories
- Conflicts of interest abound in New York Times story on Transcendental Meditation
- Swaddling and SIDS: Why scary headlines got it wrong (Hear my NPR interview on the same topic.)
- Trendy new ‘pea milk’ generates lots of headlines, but little scrutiny
- 5 tips for writing better health news headlines
Center for Health Journalism
Environmental Defense Fund (on staff as digital editor from 2012-2016)
Examples of marketing copy writing, photo editing and content production for EDF:
- Brand promotional content: 12 fish you’ve probably never tried but should eat
- Case study: McDonald’s reduces waste–and saves money
- Explainer content: Methane: The other important greenhouse gas
- Explainer content: Climate change impacts
- Quiz: What’s your environmental personality?
Payscale.com (freelance), Yahoo syndicated content: 5 Salary Secrets Your Company Won’t Tell You
WordPress.com (staff): Five Ways to Get Featured on Freshly Pressed
Mexico Desconocido (contributor): La Boquilla, Oaxaca
Ad copy writing and photo editing:
Environmental Defense Fund, staff
“You are EDF.”
Spring 2016 EDF membership cultivation campaign: